As a parent, it’s natural to want to keep an eye on your child’s whereabouts. Similarly, if you have a friend who is new to an area, it’s reassuring to know that you can locate them if they get lost. Sharing your location on WhatsApp with your loved ones while on a road trip can provide this peace of mind. In this guide on IchieTech, we’ll explore how to send your current location using the WhatsApp mobile app, as well as how to track someone’s real-time location. Whether you’re meeting up with friends, keeping an eye on your loved ones, or simply exploring a new area, knowing how to share and track locations on WhatsApp can be incredibly helpful.
How to Share Your Location on Whatsapp (Android)
To share your location on WhatsApp’s Android app
- First, tap the attachment icon.
- Then tap the Location icon.
- If you have GPS enabled in your privacy settings, you will immediately see your current location on the map. If not you will have to give WhatsApp access to your device location.
- Tap Send your current location or share live location to have your location sent to your WhatsApp contact.
- If you wish, you can authorize a WhatsApp contact to track your location in real-time for a certain duration of time, such as 15 minutes, one hour, or eight hours. Simply select your preferred option and the map will automatically update as you move.
How to Share Your Location on Whatsapp (iPhone)
The method for accessing the map on iOS is similar, but the route is slightly different.
- To send your current location or share live location to a WhatsApp contact on the iPhone, first tap the + icon to the left of the message box.
- The menu table will pop up. Then Select Location.
I would like to inform you that a map will be displayed on your screen. If you have enabled GPS in your privacy settings, your current location will be shown on the map, along with a list of nearby businesses and other locations that you can choose from. However, if your privacy settings do not allow it, you will have to manually enter the address.
- To send your current location or share live location with your contact, simply tap on the “Send Your Current Location” button.
- If you need a guide with step-by-step directions while you are on the move, there is an option to allow a WhatsApp contact to track your location in real time for a set duration.
To use this feature, follow the same steps as stated above and select ‘Share Live Location‘ when the map appears. You will be prompted to choose the duration for which the other person can track your location.
- Once you send the map, it will appear as a message in the WhatsApp chat to your contact. Your contact can tap on the map to open their default Map app on their phone. From there, they can zoom in and out to get a better understanding of your location.
Image Credit: Android Authority